Franciacorta Brut Millesimato DOCG

The family-owned boutique winery named for its founder Enrico Gatti is located in Erbusco, in the heart of Franciacorta. Enrico started out in the building industry but he became fascinated by the world of bubbly wines, expanding his property, his experience and his team. Surface under vine went from a single hectare in 1975 to the impressive 17 (totally 42 acres) it is today. The vineyards feature Franciacorta’s characteristic morainic soil and are generally located about 200-250 meters above sea level (656-820 feet). In 1984, the founder’s children, Lorenzo and Paola Gatti, together with Paola’s husband, Enzo Balzarini, began to collaborate in the winery and the first bubbly vintage was launched in 1986. The underground winery was gradually expanded and equipped with state-of-the-art, computerized and temperature-controlled equipment. The Gatti family has meticulously created a range of limited-production wines, which are carefully crafted with an eye to painstaking quality. All the grapes for their wines are organically grown in estate-owned vineyards. The third generation has also joined the ranks, continuing the family tradition.

A vintage Chardonnay from elevated hillside vineyards. Grapes are soft pressed and 70% of the must ferments in French oak barrels on its lees for six months. The other 30% ferments in stainless steel. The wine is then blended and spends at least eighteen to twenty-four months on its lees before dégorgement. Rich and intense with lovely persistent perlage, distinct elegance with aromas of vanilla and warm pastries. The epitome of finesse.


Wine exported to

Canada, Japan, Australia, Austria

Grape Varieties:

85% Chardonnay and 15% Pinot Nero

Fermentation container:

Stainless steel and wood barrels

Length of alcoholic fermentation:

7-8 days

Type of yeast:

Selected

Fermentation temperature:

Max. 19 °C (62.2 °F)

Malolactic fermentation:

15% of the wine

Aging containers:

Stainlesss steel and wood barrels

Container size:

50 hl stainless-steel vats, 225-lt wood barrels

Type of oak:

Durmast oak

Bottling period:

April

Aging before bottling:

7 months

Aging in bottle:

18-24 months

Closure:

Natural Cork

Organic:

No

Vineyard location:

Erbusco, Lombardy

Vineyard size:

1 hectare (2.5 acres)

Soil composition:

Mineral-rich morainic soil.

Vine training:

Guyot

Altitude:

220-240 meters (720-790 feet) above sea level

Vine density:

4,000 vines per hectare

Yield:

90 quintals

Exposure:

Southeastern

Years planted:

1990, 2000

Age of vines:

20-30 years old

Time of harvest:

August

First vintage of this wine:

2001

Total yearly production (in bottles):

6,000

Tasting notes:

Rich, intense and complex, shows fine, persistent perlage and aromas of citrus, an elegant flavors, texture and freshness. Finesse in and of itself.

Serving temperature:

Best served at 4-6 °C (39.2-42.8 °F).

Food pairings:

Pairs well with fish and white meat.

Aging potential:

5-6 years

Alcohol:

Alcohol cont.: 13% by vol.

Winemaker:

Lorenzo Gatti, Enzo Balzarini, Nicolò Balzarini